Sunday, November 29, 2015

HKU: Study Abroad, Why Not?


Hi again everyone!! It's kinda unusual because I diligently write posts these days, isn't it? Well, yeah, I just feel like writing since my mood is up nowadays, which is obviously good! And... today's topic is about universities! Seriously, if someone ask me to talk about my dream universities, or going abroad, or anything related to future studies life... then I'm gonna tell it enthusiastically!! It's because I'm highly interested in going abroad since I was in junior high, and I just can't stop dreaming and keep searching for more information about it until today hehe. OK, no need to make this any longer, I will get started now!

So, what I'm going to tell on this occasion is about one of  my dream universities which includes its profile and how to apply to the university. Mm, can you guess what university it is?





Yes, It' Hong Kong University! It is one of Asia's best universities, or even in the world as well. I actually was considering about bringing up Oxford University since I really really wanna go there, but I choose HKU as the one I'm going to discuss here instead because I am now applying to there! So I feel like I will be able to do this better if it is about HKU 😁

OK, so, The University of Hong Kong (often abbreviated as HKU, informally known as Hong Kong University) is a public research university located in Pokfulam, Hong Kong, founded in 1911 during the British Colonial era. It is the oldest tertiary institution in Hong Kong, originally established to compete with other Great Powers that had opened higher learning institutions in China at the beginning of the twentieth century. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Hong_Kong)

Based on the latest university ranks by www.topuniversities.com, Hong Kong University is #30 in the World University Rankings, second in Asian University Rankings, #14 for its Social Sciences and Management, and also second best in the world for its Dentistry. Very cool, huh?? Those rankings clearly depict the high quality of HKU, and that is why I am interested in applying to it! Plus, Hong Kong is still located in Asia whcih means its mother tongue isn't English, so it's pretty suitable with my average English skill ✌🏻

OK, let's we talk about the admission thingy. I will obviously tell about its international admission only since we're non-local students. Well, the International Admission Scheme, or is usually called as Non-JUPAS Admission Scheme, is welcomed for the students who are applying on the strength of qualifications other than Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education (HKDSE) or mainland China's National Joint College Entrance Examination (NJCEE), regardless of whether the students are studying in Hong Kong or overseas. The admission period are divided into 3 parts; Fast Track, Main Round, and Late Application. As for the Fast Track application, it has now been closed. However, if the students are not selected during the Fast Track period, they will be considered further in the Main Round so they won't be disadvantaged.

Next one is the Main Round, and this is the admission period I take for my application. It has opened since early October, 2015 and will be closed on December 30, 2015 at 12.00 a.m. (Hong Kong time).

The last one is Late Application. Only small numbers of the university's study programs might accept late applications after the Main Round deadline. According to their official website, the details will be finalized and announced on the website after the Main Round application deadline.

Before starting to do the application, it's way better and important to know what the entrance requirements are, so that your application will be considered for admission. To make it short, I will just insert the link so that you can see the details yourself: http://www.aal.hku.hk/admissions/international/admissions-information?page=en/university-entrance-requirements

Let's now talk about the application procedure. First of all, you should register and create an application account. After you already have one, then you can log in for completing the online application form. When you have finished filling in the online application form, you should pay the application fee of HK$450 by credit card, and you won't be permitted to make any changes in your form, so it is better to use the Preview Final Report function to ensure you have filled in all sections with correct information. After successful online payment, you will be given a final report and you have to save or print it out for your own records. For further detailed information of the application procedure, you can check it out here: http://www.aal.hku.hk/admissions/international/admissions-information?page=application-procedures

You may be called for an interview or test at any time after submission of the application. This means hat not all applicants are required to attend an interview or test and not all programmes conduct these assessments; being invited to an interview or test is not an indicator of the chance of admission. You will be notified by the Faculty / Programme Office individually of the arrangements for any interview or test, if applicable.

You will be informed by e-mail if you are offered admission to the University and you are required to pay a deposit of HK$10,000 upon your acceptance of the offer by the date specified in the offer letter or the offer will be withdrawn automatically. You can also view your application status using your registered application account. Candidates should consider their application as unsuccessful if they do not hear from the University by the end of August 2016. What you have to note is that all documents will not be returned once submitted, and will be destroyed if the application is unsuccessful.

I myself have almost done my online application form until today. I just have to upload some supporting documents and write and essay about my interest of studying in Hong Kong University. Here is my current Final Report:


Sighs, this is real hard to do :( but I like it anyway and I am very enthusiastic for this!! Well, just wish me luck, buddies! :)



Source:

No comments:

Post a Comment